Friday, January 9, 2009

Ironing


First, a comment on the picture above. My CA sister and her husband went to Tahiti last year and took the picture from their cruise ship. I reviewed it, and thought we could all use a reminder that it WILL get warm, again! lol

A blog Lo wrote a while back, and one that Judy wrote yesterday got me to thinking about the "old days". Specifically washing/ironing/fabrics. I remember being 9 months pregnant in the month of August, and facing a mountain of ironing—before permanent press fabrics. I couldn't DO it!! The heat, the position, (couldn't get close enough to the ironing board) and the overwhelming girth of the maternity clothes sent me to the ads looking for someone to do the job for me. That was the only time I ever sent my ironing out to be done by someone else.

Also, the pictures I posted of my friends as youngsters reminded me that we always wore dresses to school. How did my mom do it? She had three girls wearing dresses everyday—her mountain of ironing must have been enormous! And, how did my grandma keep up with laundry? Oh, to be able to ask them!

I'll leave you to ponder, and await comments. Hugs!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So true on the way things were. When I was a little girl and Mom started to teach me to iron I was started out on hankies. The iron was so big and so heavy it could almost iron from sheer weight rather than heat. Remember the old time irons...no steam either, sprinkling was the way to go.

Diane said...

So true about the ironing Katy. My Mom had us three girls doing that mountain of ironing every week. I remember we each had jobs according to our ages. When I was younger it was Dad's handkerchiefs and the pillowcases, when I got older it was harder things. I hated it, I burned myself all the time, I felt like we were little sweat shop slave girls, lol! Speaking of that I have some shirts of Tony's to do.....YUCK!!!

My Road thru Life said...

Yes I remember ironing when I was little. The hankies, the pillow cases and the table clothes and now I'm still doing some of Terry's shirts and even some of my blouses that just don't look right unless you iron them. Hate it still. That's why I wait so long inbetween doing it. (Did you ever get your brakes fixed OK)