Monday, January 12, 2009

about Mel and me

I had planned to blog, today, about my "thumb sucking" story, but other blogs (Lois & Lynn's anniversary, & Diane thinking kids in their 20s was a shocker) changed my mind. I have also been meaning to fill you in on our background.  So, here at long last is the story of how Mel and I met, and got together.

This is not the first marriage for either of us. I was first married at 17 (yikes!) to what turned out to be the wrong guy for me. But, it took nearly 13 years for that realization to overcome my determination to make the marriage work. We had two boys, in 1964 and 1967 respectively. Who were 6 and 9 when we separated. 

Mel married a woman (roughly 1962) with whom he worked (he was chef—she a waitress) who was 16 years older than he, had been divorced, and had 2 boys. I don't know the ages of her boys when they married, but they were roughly young teenagers. Mel and Ruby (first wife) then had RenĂ©. She was born in 1964. Ruby became quite ill in the late 60s early 70s (lupus suspected but not formally diagnosed) and she passed away in 1973. 

At this time, Mel and I were working in the same place. (he chef, I bartender) We had become friends (he was a drinker and frequented my bar) but suddenly found ourselves in a different relationship, both being without partners. I was very skeptical of emotional intimacy just having been through a NASTY divorce, and he was very skeptical of emotional intimacy, having just lost his spouse (a divorcee with two boys) and facing another divorcee with 2 boys!!

But, there was a strong attraction, and we had mutual needs in the other. As things got quite serious between us, I had to ask myself if I could take on a 9 year old girl—and accept her as my own. The prospect of "step-child" wasn't satisfactory. And, could I live with someone with an obvious drinking problem?

I can see that this story will be a 2 parter, so will continue tomorrow.  Huge hugs!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to hear stories of how people met. This is quite interesting and I can't wait to read the second half. Very good blogging!

Yochana said...

Cool story!!! Can you stretch it into a 3 or 4 parter? I love stories like this!

Diane said...

I love this love story of Katy and Mel. I remember you and Mel telling some of us parts of this story at one of our retreats, it was very interesting then and still is. How awesome that you took on a little 9yr old step-daughter. I need some advice on that, one of Tony's boys really dislikes me and it is proving to be difficult at times already. Can't wait for part 2 and 3 and 4, lol!

My Road thru Life said...

Can't wait to read the next part. You've got me hooked already.