Saturday, December 13, 2008

2 boo boos; 1 great joy day

Mel's been taking lots of field trips, and frequently packs a meal to take with him. He had asked me to cook some bacon for him, and I did that first thing this morning. I have a great way to cook bacon using the microwave, and avoiding all the splatter and clean up. I have a microwave tray with a cover that I use just for that purpose. The first batch came along without a hitch. I was engrossed in another project (computer) when I started the second batch. I set the timer for 4 minutes (I thought), then returned to my typing. Suddenly I realized that it had been waaaaaaay more  than 4 minutes—and then I smelled trouble. I stopped the microwave, (I gather that I'd had 40 minutes set, and that about 10 had lapsed) disposed of the burned bacon, and grease, and cleaned up the mess. But the stench was awful! I was expecting Mel home from his morning run, and taped a note to the door saying that everything was okay but hold your nose! He was grateful for the warning when he came in, but said the stench was more than burned bacon! We checked out the tray and cover that I'd cleaned. The tray was fine, but the cover was singed, and it was that which was so stinky. We threw it away, and it took a lot of scouring with baking soda to finally get the microwave smelling better. That was boo boo # 1. To be continued. Hugs!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Katy...sounds like something I would do when I have my mind working on two different things. In fact..I have done similar things. Glad it just scorched and didn't start a fire.

My Road thru Life said...

Lois said the same thing I was going to say. Glad things turned out OK.