Monday, September 29, 2008

More Politics

I've been trying to put together a list of subjects for blogs, but I can't get my mind to stay on whatever subject I'm trying to pursue, and it's tough to write about something you can't concentrate on. My favorite topics (and the ones occupying my thoughts) are: 1.The economics in this country and all of the garbage (to use a mild word for what I was thinking) being fed to us about the true state of affairs; and 2. Nutrition and its misinformation being fed to us.
Economically speaking, we've been fed the same sort of garbage (being nice, again) that we've come to accept as fact. I've been fighting this one since I stumbled onto the truth in 1978. And I spoke before the Kansas state legislators trying to raise awareness back then. What I discovered was that the entitlement programs (Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, etc.) were designed to benefit the wealthy (the wealthier employers pay at a much better rate than the little guy). These programs were initiated in Roosevelt's "New Deal" to pull us out of the first great depression. They did as they were designed to do, and reversed the trend that drove the economy to such despair. But the pendulum swung back in the other direction, and no one has done anything to stop it. I think everyone knows that today's workers cannot possibly provide income to everyone in the country who has ever worked. Social security was designed before antibiotics and birth control. People used to have lots of kids and many people of all ages died from illness and infection. The life expectancy was short—not because people did not live to be old, but because of averaging. If a person who died at 90 years of age was averaged with an infant that died at birth—the average life expectancy was 45 years.  At Social Security's onset, there were hundreds of contributors for each recipient. Today, I think the ratio is 3 workers to each recipient, and declining rapidly. Why should the guy who works hand over his check to the guy who doesn't? What's wrong with this program?

My appeal to vote for Obama is because he affords us better opportunities. No doubt, we are headed for tough times. What we need is a complete revamping of the "social" programs and of the tax structure. My hope is that with Obama at the helm, these needs would be recognized and addressed. I'm certain that no such reform could be realized under McCain.

Tomorrow my thoughts on nutrition.

Hugs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too am having problems with subjects. I think it is because I can think of nothing but what is going on with our government. It is such a mess. Looking forward to nutrition.